Tuesday 2 July 2013

Final thoughts on my HSI Training



Steve has been the perfect teacher and mentor, sharing his enthusiasm for the job with a real generosity of spirit.  He sees himself as not just a commercial enterprise, but as someone who carries on the role of ‘community upholsterer’.  For instance, he doesn't turn down the little jobs for elderly customers.  The work is not necessarily economically viable for him but important to them.  As he says, if he doesn't do it for them, who else is there?  I don’t imagine this is a common philosophy, but it’s certainly one that I respect and aspire to share.

http://www.stephenballupholstery.co.uk/

I’ve accompanied Steve to customers’ homes in order to give estimates, learned how to price jobs, collected furniture and returned it on completion of the job.  During this time, I’ve had the opportunity to discuss lots of aspects of the job with Steve whilst driving around Cumbria – invaluable insights!  There’s a lot more to being an upholsterer than simply dealing with furniture in the workshop!

I’ve tackled all sorts of jobs, working alongside Steve on some of them, e.g. headboards and sofas, and working on others by myself.  Steve has encouraged me to develop my problem solving skills (especially where the railway seats were concerned , which were far more challenging than we imagined at the outset ) - all of which has helped in building my confidence.


http://www.nect.org.uk/

I’ve built on the tools bought as part of my bursary and am now the proud owner of a Clarke Shhh Quiet Compressor, professional BeA pneumatic staple gun (both the same type as I’ve used at the workshop) and with these, together with my industrial sewing machine, feel equipped to start my own business.   I’ve still got loads to learn and know from talking to Steve, reading and from my practical workshop experience that learning will (and should) never stop.  Individual pieces of furniture present their own challenges, and problem solving is an essential part of the upholsterer’s toolkit.


The first job I did was to ‘rip off’ the old covers from a deep buttoned chaise longue and an old armchair.  I've appreciated the importance of doing this carefully and methodically, taking photographs before and at various stages, as you learn so much from this process.  I've become very aware of the range in quality of furniture: materials used in frame building, upholstery materials and build style, etc.   I've also learned to recognise and differentiate good quality upholstery work from poorer quality work.  I want to know that, in years to come, people will strip furniture upholstered by me and see a job well done.  Completing an upholstery job is a bit like watching ducks dabbling on water:  the finished job presents a serene surface but hides the hard paddling that’s gone on below.

http://www.nect.org.uk/hsi
I can’t begin to say how much this placement has meant to me.  I feel excited about starting my own business, and passionate about the work I’m going to be doing, rather than winding down to retirement as many people do at my age.  I now notice upholstered furniture all the time – in magazines, on television, etc. in a way I never did before – a professional interest, I suppose.  Steve has been an inspirational teacher and mentor and will continue to mentor me as I develop my own business.  He’s generously told me that he’ll always be available to me if I need help with a job: at the end of a phone, over the internet, and at the workshop.

A huge ‘thank you’ then to everyone who made this placement and profession possible for me: NECT and HSI (and in particular, Lisa Rothwell-Young); Mike, Sue and everyone at Stainmore Railway; the team at Stephen Ball Upholstery – and of course, Stephen Ball himself.  I also must thank my family – their support throughout the placement and as I start my business, has and will be invaluable.

If you’ve found my blog interesting, feel free to contact me at:


and don't forget to take a look at the Gresley carriage at Kirby Stephen East which is situated in Kirby Stephen itself, a picturesque market town in the Cumbrian Pennines.  The Station's open every Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 - 4:00.  You can find a calendar of events and everything else you need at the email address and facebook page below.

http://www.kirkbystepheneast.co.uk/6.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stainmore-Railway-Company/260228887347271?fref=ts

I’m still deciding on the name of my business, which will be based in Upper Weardale.  I aim to provide a service quite widely – living here means you get used to travelling long distances to get anywhere.

Of course, I’d love to hear from you if you’d like some upholstery work done, too.
At the HSI festival, several people asked if I would be offering courses and I’m certainly planning to do so.  I’m considering a residential weekend course, here in the beautiful North Pennines – which would give participants the chance to finish a small project in one weekend.  I’m also considering day classes in the Allendale area.  Please contact me if you’re interested in finding out more.


I may well create a new blog as my business launches, so watch this space.  I’m also working on a website and getting to grips with using social media for my business.  I’ll post more info here in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment