Tuesday 2 July 2013

Post Script:

Heritage Skills Initiative Festival at Tynemouth Station, June 2013




I've just had a great 3 days demonstrating the upholstery skills I've learned at the HSI Festival.  Friday was an education day, visited by lots of school groups.  I took along materials and tools used in traditional and modern upholstery and demonstrated the use of them all.  Having taught, I really enjoyed the day.  Saturday and Sunday were both very busy, with hundreds of people attending the Tynemouth Market.  I managed to buy a TV chair and a footstool for £7 and £6 respectively - my latest projects.  On Sunday, I had my own apprentice - a woman who chatted to me on Saturday and wanted to have a go at upholstery.  I started her off stripping my TV chair, having explained that it's a really good way to begin learning.  She also had a go at putting an interliner on a vintage 1960s stool top, using my stapler.  She was still enthusiastic at the end of the day, so hopefully she'll do the training she's identified.




A number of people took my details and want me to do re-upholstery jobs for them, so I hope they follow through.  There's even the possibility of another heritage railway job in the pipeline.



No comments:

Post a Comment