Tuesday 2 July 2013

Stainmore Railway: Greasley TTO 60505 Carriage

Finally, I'd better show you some train seat photos - the whole reason my placement was created.

The major element of the placement has been upholstering 26 pairs of seats for a 1936 Gresley Tourist Third Open 60505 railway carriage currently being renovated to its 'as built' condition.  I feel privileged to be contributing to this historically important restoration by Stainmore Railway Company at Kirkby Stephen East, who developed the placement in conjunction with the North of England Civic Trust Heritage Skills Initiative.  It was made possible thanks to funding from a local trust, private individuals and the RDPE (Rural Development Programme for England).


I’ve learned a huge range of skills, from a ‘standing start’ and discovered that this is what I went to do for the rest of my working life.  Upholstery is something that has always fascinated me and I’ve wanted to learn for years, but circumstances have prevented that – until the HIS placement.  I’ve loved working in Steve’s workshop, as part of a small team, on a wide variety of jobs in addition to the railway seats. 











No comments:

Post a Comment